7.14.2010

Steak Salad


In the past, I've had so many failures cooking a steak. It would be too raw to eat (and I'd have to resort to using a microwave to finish cooking - a really bad idea!) or too overcooked that it looked and tasted like rubber.

One problem was that I was reluctant to use high heat... I was afraid that too much smoke in my apartment might set off the fire alarm for the whole building, irritating every single resident in my apartment complex. Now that I know that it's OK to use high heat as long as I leave the window open and let the smoke out, cooking a steak is not so intimidating!

Ingredients:
1 steak (I used rib eye)
1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt
Pepper
1/2 bag of arugula
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp blue cheese, crumbled

Directions:
- Bring the steak to room temperature.
- Pat dry the steak with paper towels.
- Rub the steak with vegetable oil and season.
- Sear the steak for 4 minutes on each side in a pan over medium to high heat.
- Take out the steak, cover with foil, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak.
- Mix the arugula with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Put the sliced steak over the salad and crumble blue cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment